16 Personalities - Core Theory - Framework - Summary
Below is my summary of the article and the types.
Acronym format introduced by Myers-Briggs, with an extra letter for the fifth scale, reworked and rebalanced based on the Big Five personality traits.
Five Personality Traits
Introverted (I___-_) prefer solitary activities and get exhausted by social interaction.
Extraverted (E___-_) prefer group activities and get energized by social interaction.
Observant (_S__-_) are highly practical, pragmatic and down-to-earth.
Intuitive (_N__-_) are very imaginative, open-minded and curious.
Thinking (__T_-_) focus on objectivity and rationality, prioritizing logic over emotions.
Feeling (__F_-_) are sensitive and emotionally expressive.
Judging (___J-_) are decisive, thorough and highly organized.
Prospecting (___P-_) are very good at improvising and spotting opportunities.
Assertive (____-A) are self-assured, even-tempered and resistant to stress.
Turbulent (____-T) are self-conscious and sensitive to stress.
Analysts (Intuitive and Thinking, _NT_-_) embrace rationality and impartiality, excelling in intellectual debates and scientific or technological fields.
Diplomats (Intuitive and Feeling, _NF_-_) focus on empathy and cooperation, shining in diplomacy and counselling.
Sentinels (Observant and Judging, _S_J-_) are cooperative and highly practical, embracing and creating order, security and stability wherever they go.
Explorers (Observant and Prospecting, _S_P-_) are the most spontaneous of all and they also share the ability to connect with their surroundings in a way that is beyond reach of other types.
Confident Individualism (Introverted and Assertive, I___-A) prefer doing things alone, choosing to rely on their own skills and instincts as opposed to seeking contact with other people.
People Mastery (Extraverted and Assertive, E___-A) seek social contact and tend to have very good communication skills, feeling at ease in social events or in situations where they need to rely on or direct other people.
Constant Improvement (Introverted and Turbulent, I___-T) are high achieving individuals dedicated to their craft – however, they also tend to worry too much about their performance.
Social Engagement (Extraverted and Turbulent, E___-T) tend to be restless, perfectionist individuals, prone to experiencing both very positive and very negative emotions.
16 Personality Types
Imaginative and strategic thinkers, with a plan for everything.
- believe that, through willpower and intelligence, they can achieve even the most challenging of goals
- confident in their ability to teach themselves about – and master – any topic that interests them
- tend to prioritize rationality and success over politeness and pleasantries – in other words, they’d rather be right than popular
- tend to have a great deal of self-control, particularly when it comes to thoughts and feelings
- use their knowledge and logic to help ensure that their partner is satisfied
- look for friends who value intellect, honesty, and self-improvement
- rather than enforce pointless rules, they look for age-appropriate ways to foster their child’s independence
- can reframe problems as opportunities for personal growth, inspiring their children to develop their own style of rational thinking and problem-solving
- tend to prefer lone-wolf job positions
Innovative inventors with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge.
- often have a Sherlock Holmes–like knack for spotting discrepancies and irregularities
- generally want to offer emotional support to their friends and loved ones, but they don’t necessarily know how
- are constantly on the lookout for problems to solve, topics to learn, and new ways to approach things
- best friends tend to share their passion for new ideas, riddles, and solutions
- friendships are knowledge-based, buoyed by the exchange of ideas, theories, and concepts
- encourage their children to think independently, seek out new knowledge, and voice and defend their own opinions
- rather than imposing needless rules or strict schedules, they aim to create a home environment that encourages exploration and independence
- an ideal workday involves tackling difficult, seemingly unsolvable problems
- are often drawn to self-directed workplaces with relatively flat hierarchies
- crave intellectual stimulation, freedom to pursue their ideas, and opportunities to solve challenging puzzles
- may see their colleagues not as a group of people to socialize and work with but rather as a series of potential distractions who sometimes provide useful knowledge
Bold, imaginative and strong-willed leaders, always finding a way – or making one.
- their ability to think strategically and hold a long-term focus while executing each step of their plans with determination and precision makes them powerful business leaders
- if there’s anyone they respect, it’s someone who is able to stand up to them intellectually, who is able to act with a precision and quality equal to their own
- are extremely growth-oriented, and will seize any opportunity to improve themselves, listening to and acting on criticisms, so long as they are logical ones, and always striving to improve their knowledge
- seek out individuals who share their passion for deep, meaningful discussions, and who enjoy learning and development as much as they do
- establishing specific moral values is less important to them than the cultivation of the intellect and independent, rational thought
- crave leadership and responsibility, growth and opportunity, and genuinely enjoy managing others to get a job done
- their ability to formulate a strategy and to identify the strengths of each member of their teams, incorporating those abilities into their plans so that each individual fills a unique and important role, makes them able motivators
Smart and curious thinkers who cannot resist an intellectual challenge.
- are on a constant quest for knowledge, and what better way to gain it than to attack and defend an idea, from every angle, from every side
- are able to discard existing systems and methods and pull together disparate ideas from their extensive knowledge base, with a little raw creativity to hold them together, to formulate bold new ideas
- the same flexibility that allows them to come up with such original plans and ideas makes them readapt perfectly good ones far too often
- their idea of fun is often rooted in self-improvement, and people with this personality type bring their partners along the way, as much in a spirit of sharing as in a spirit of expectation
- it is often easy for them to test compatibility with a potential friend – they just need to test combatability
- from the beginning their distaste for rules and regulations is evident, and they are likely to give their young children the freedom necessary to explore on their own
Diplomat parents, who encourage their children to express their thoughts in terms of feelings and needs, they teach their children to approach these options from a position of impartiality and logic, to state what is more effective rather than what would make them feel good
- rather than the sort of people-oriented helpfulness that
Diplomat types bring to the table, they are focused on developing solutions to interesting and diverse technical and intellectual problems
- being liked is less their goal than being respected and seen as intelligent and capable
Quiet and mystical, yet very inspiring and tireless idealists.
Poetic, kind and altruistic people, always eager to help a good cause.
Charismatic and inspiring leaders, able to mesmerize their listeners.
Enthusiastic, creative and sociable free spirits, who can always find a reason to smile.
Practical and fact-minded individuals, whose reliability cannot be doubted.
Very dedicated and warm protectors, always ready to defend their loved ones.
Excellent administrators, unsurpassed at managing things – or people.
Extraordinarily caring, social and popular people, always eager to help.
Bold and practical experimenters, masters of all kinds of tools.
Flexible and charming artists, always ready to explore and experience something new.
Smart, energetic and very perceptive people, who truly enjoy living on the edge.
Spontaneous, energetic and enthusiastic people – life is never boring around them.